Get A Library Card
- Adults. Current ID and proof of address in California are required to obtain a library card.
- Minors 15-17: School ID plus parent or guardian signature on the library card application is required to obtain a library card
- Minors 0-14: Parent or legal guardian must be with the minor at the time of application. The parent/legal guardian must have identification as required for adults, or have a current PLS library card with the same address and phone number as the minor child.
The South San Francisco Public Library offers Teacher Library Cards to teachers in our community. If you are a teacher, home school educator or day care provider living or working in our service area, and you have a personal library card in good standing, you are eligible for a Teacher Card.
To obtain an application, visit the South San Francisco Public Library or download the application here.
- No fines on material used in the classroom. Check out up to fifty items.
- Classroom and personal use material on separate library records.
- Request longer loan periods on selected materials used in the classroom.
- For use at any branch of the South San Francisco Public Library.
- Your Teacher Card may only be used for classroom materials and is not for personal use.
- Materials from other Peninsula Library System libraries will not check out to your Teacher Card.
- Please be aware that you are responsible for any lost or damaged material checked out to your Teacher Card.
- Please complete the application and bring it, along with your personal library card, to any branch of the South San Francisco Public Library.
- Your personal library card must be in good standing, meaning your card is current, you do not owe fines over $15.00, and you have no billed items.
Loan Periods and Renewals
Cardholders have access to ebooks and digital magazines through our digital collections. Click here for more information.
Materials from any of the 34 public or community college libraries in San Mateo County may be requested online by logging into your library account and placing a hold.
Most materials may be renewed five times, providing there are no holds on the materials. You may renew online by logging into your library account, or by phone using TELECIRC at (650) at 638-0399.
Most library materials may be returned at any of the 34 public or community college libraries in San Mateo County. An after hours book drop is available for the return of items when the library is closed.
Adult materials: 25¢/day per item maximum $8 per item. As a courtesy, seniors aged 62 and above who are residents of South San Francisco are not charged overdue fines on South San Francisco materials.
Inter-library loan non-refundable fee is payable at time of request. The fee is $3.00 per item for South San Francisco residents and $5.00 per item for non-residents.
Lost or damaged items are billed at the cost of item plus a $5 processing fee.
Fines and fees can be paid online or in the Library. Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted, with the exception of American Express. For a full listing of Library fines and fees, please see the City's Master Fee Schedule.