Many of the major benefits for City of South San Francisco employees are uniform; however, many benefits vary by bargaining unit. The following is provided as a general overview of benefits provided for a full-time regular employee. For specifics, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) associated with the position.
Paid Time Off
- Vacation is accrued bi-weekly, for use after completion of 6 months of City service.
- For Fire Association members, see MOU. For all other Units, the following applies:
||Based on 40-hr work week
|Hire date through completion of 4th year
|5th year through completion of 14th year
|15th year through completion of 24th year
|25th and succeeding years
- 11 holidays per year, 2 half-days, plus 1 floating holiday per year.
Health and Dependent Care
- Choice of four plans: Kaiser Permanente HMO; Blue Shield of California HMO; Blue Shield of California PPO; and Blue Shield of California HDHP (High Deductible High Plan).
- City pays 90% of the premium for the employee and his/her qualified dependents for HMO coverage. Employees pay 10% of HMO premium based on the category of coverage (single, two, family)
- For participation in the PPO HDHP plan, the City pays the equivalent of the HMO premium and the employee is responsible for any additional premium cost.
- City pays monthly premiums for employees and their qualified dependents for Delta Dental Premier plan coverage.
- City pays monthly premiums for employees and their qualified dependents for Vision Service Plan coverage.
Flexible Spending Account (Section 125 Plan)
- Eligibility: All units except Police Association members.
- Opportunity to contribute up to $2,500 in a healthcare spending account.
- Opportunity to contribute up to $5,000 in a dependent care spending account.
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- City pays for services of licensed EAP counselors to provide confidential assessment, referral and short-term counseling for employees and their qualified dependents.
Paid Sick Leave
- Sick leave is accrued at the rate of 8 hours per month or 3.69 hours bi-weekly.
- For Fire Association members, see MOU.
Short-term Disability (STD) and Long-term Disability (LTD)
- For Fire and Police (Sworn only) members, see MOU.
- For all other Units, STD and LTD coverage.
- City-provided Workers' Compensation insurance for job-related injury.
- For Fire members, see MOU.
- For all other units, City-paid term life insurance coverage.
- Police members have additional life insurance through their Association.
- Membership in the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS).
- Safety members:
- Tier 2: 3% at age 55; employee pays approximately 9% of pay.
- Tier 3: 2.7% at age 57; employee pays approximately 11.5% of pay.
- Miscellaneous members:
- Tier 2: 2% at age 60; employee pays approximately 7% of pay.
- Tier 3: 2% at age 62; employee pays approximately 6.5% of pay.
- Three (3) year final compensation for both formulas.
- Social Security: All Units except Police (Sworn only), Fire, and Public Safety Management.
- Medicare: All Units
- Employee pays 6.2% (FICA) and 1.45% (Medicare) of gross pay
- Opportunity to save for retirement with pre-tax dollars as provided by Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Retiree Health Savings (RHS)
- City contributes 1.5% of base pay into RHS for employee to pay for healthcare expenses in retirement.